Sunday, January 16, 2011

New endeavors and valuable advice!

Well, it's official. Two half days of classes and my head is already swimming with a long list class assignments, internship tasks, newsletter deadlines, philanthropy events and my newest endeavor: summer applications.

Over Christmas break, I was able to schedule a couple informational interviews at Scripps Network in Knoxville. I met with employees in the HGTV, DIY and corporate communications departments. Being a company I hold high respect for, as well as being located in Knoxville, I was extremely excited for the opportunity to get my foot in the door, and the conversations I had were more than beneficial.

• I gained advice that I will not only keep in mind over the next few months on the job search, but for years to come in the workforce:

It was pointed out to me that many fields, especially entertainment networking like DIY, only consider candidates for positions, and even internships, whom can show previous experience or interest in the field. Therefore, when choosing a minor or taking an internship, it is extremely important to narrow your interests, be picky and follow your interests or career aspirations.


• I was also able to witness the value of choosing a company in which you can move, not only vertically, but horizontally and diagonally, too! 

In most corporate companies, it is rather slow-going for PR and communications professionals to try and move up the ladder. A company as large as Scripps or Turner, however, you have a much larger range of internal movement throughout different departments or brands within the company.

Scripps Networks, for example are over HGTV and DIY brands in Knoxville, TN, Food Network and Cooking Channel in New York, Travel Channel in D.C. and GAC in Nashville, TN.

• Finally, I was able to secure an interview for a summer internship program with DIY Network. Because they were able to put an eager face to my resume, I was remembered and now have a phone interview in place!

So, back to the point... I am eagerly creating opportunities to strengthen my PR network, knowledge-base, as well as skill set. Between classes, my jobs and trying to figure out what I want to do with this career, I am daily engaging in the ins-and-outs of the profession. That being said, I know I must be careful not to overwhelm myself, and to stay on top of my deadlines.

That being said, I must now return to the stacks of papers surrounding me...

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Carly! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of this is an education in and of itself! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete